Prevention is a powerful tool for keeping your pets happy and healthy. It offers you peace of mind knowing that you’re doing everything necessary to ensure your pet’s wellness. At our vet care location in Jacksonville, we recommend a comprehensive check-up twice a year with our qualified veterinarians at Bartram Park Animal Hospital.
Your Pet's First Wellness Exam with a Veterinarian
It's normal to be nervous about your pet's first preventive check-up. Here's what to expect during the initial appointment:
- Dental: Our vets will check your pet's teeth and gums for plaque and tartar buildup, swelling, broken or chipped teeth, and signs of disease.
- Ears: A hearing check and a physical exam will be conducted to inspect for dirt, mites, and other signs of an illness that can cause partial or full hearing loss.
- Eyes: A physical inspection of each eye to check for retina damage, signs of disease, and vision loss.
- Neurologic: A basic exam to verify healthy reflexes, pain perception, gait, and posture.
- Cardiovascular: Your pet's heart health is essential. During this part, our veterinarians will listen to your pet's heart for abnormalities.
- Weight: Twice annual appointments make it easier for you and our vets to work together to help your pet maintain a healthy weight.
- Coat and Skin: Our doctors will check your pet's fur and skin for signs of illness, such as fungal infections
- Abdominal: Stomach issues are common in cats and dogs. Enlargements of the spleen or liver could indicate a larger problem, and additional tests may be necessary.
- Musculoskeletal: Here, our veterinarians will check for anything out of place, areas of pain, and range of motion.
During the appointment, our veterinary staff will also verify that your pet's vaccines are up-to-date.
Benefits of Regular Vet Care
There are many benefits of twice-year wellness exams for your pet. Much can happen during a year. To prevent illnesses from happening that may reduce your pet's happiness, leave him or her in pain, or shorten his or her life, your pet needs to see a veterinarian for vet care.
Schedule Your Pet's Preventive Care Appointment Today
Routine health exams are essential to your pet's health and well-being. Let Bartram Park Animal Hospital in Jacksonville be your choice for quality vet care. Call us at 904-402-8222 to schedule the next available opening with our veterinarians.